- James D. Hawkins and Lena Cooksey reappointed to the Museum Board for terms to expire on May 1, 2015;
- Alderpersons Chris Schwartz and Jan Michalski appointed to the Museum Board for terms to expire on May 1, 2014;
- Robert Griffith appointed to the Mayor’s Youth Commission for a term to expire on November 1, 2012;
- Andrew Schmidt appointed to the Mayor’s Youth Commission for a term to expire on November 1, 2013;
- Alderperson Steve G. Bostrom appointed to the Airport Commission for an aldermanic term for up to six years, which would expire as late as May 1, 2018; and
- Alderperson Kevin Mathewson appointed to Vice Chairman of the City Plan Commission.
The following mayoral appointments were also approved at Monday’s meeting, but not unanimously:
- Jennifer Heim appointed to the Historic Preservation Commission for a term to expire on June 1, 2014. The roll call vote was 14 to 3, with Alderpersons Ruffolo, Bostrom, and Bogdala voting against.
- Alderpersons Tod Ohnstad, Daniel Prozanski, Curt Wilson appointed as Finance Committee representatives to the Community Development Block Grant Committee and the HOME Program Commission for terms to expire on April 15, 2014. The roll call vote was 15 to 2, with Alderpersons Downing and Bogdala voting against. Bogdala also made a few comments about these appointments. He stated that he sat on this committee and chaired this committee for two years, and that he was voting against it, not because he was against the people who were appointed. “I’m sure they will do a fine job,” he said. “But, because he was informed third hand via a text message on Friday that he would not be on the committee.” He felt it was “truly unfair. In this era of supposed better communication, he said that he felt a phone call or an e-mail from the mayor would have been more appropriate.” The mayor responded, “I will do that.”
- Alderperson Anthony Kennedy appointed as the City Plan Commission representative to the Community Development Block Grant Committee and the HOME Program Commission for a term to expire on April 15, 2014. The roll call vote for this appointment was again 15 to 2, with Downing and Bogdala voting against.
- Jeff LaBahn appointed to director of the Department of Community Development and Inspections. This roll call vote was approved by a vote of 16 to 1, with Downing voting against. (This roll call vote was covering several items on the agenda. The writer contacted Downing and asked if this was his intention, and he said no. He only meant to vote against the dredging project.)