Fire damages basement of Kenosha home

/Earlene Frederick photo

/Earlene Frederick photo

A fire heavily damaged the basement of a home in the 6600 block of 100th Avenue in Kenosha early this morning.

Battalion Chief Matt Haerter of the Kenosha Fire Department said in a briefing given to media at the scene that the fire started due to careless use of smoking materials in the basement. The fire started in a couch right below a water feed. The heat from the fire burned through the water line serving as an ad hoc sprinkler system helping confine the fire to the basement, and allowing the residents time to evacuate after being alerted to the fire by smoke detectors.

Some pet cats and dogs at the residence were rescued by firefighters, Haerter said.

Upon arriving at the scene firefighters found the residents outside. They informed firefighters that the fire was in the basement. Upon entering the house firefighters found the basement “well-involved,” Haerter said. The fire was quickly extinguished with most of the extensive damage in the basement but smoke damage throughout.

/Earlene Frederick photo

/Earlene Frederick photo

 

/Earlene Frederick photo

/Earlene Frederick photo

 

/Earlene Frederick photo

/Earlene Frederick photo

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Categories